Why would God lead us into temptation? If you find yourself wondering this then you are in good company as Henry VIII was so offended by the idea that he believed it must have been a mistake in the text of the Bible.
But ‘lead us not into temptation’ might be understood as lead us away from temptation.
Another way to think about this is that the word for ‘temptation’ (peirasmon) is the same as that used to describe Satan’s tempting Jesus in the wilderness.
We are asking God to lead us through the wilderness of our own lives and to protect us from the evil into which we can so easily fall.
These are all things which we can use to guide us through wilderness
- The torch (representing the light of Christ) – you have to keep the batteries fresh
- The Compass representing prayer – NB it only works if you hold it still
- The bible – the word of God – why not try reading it?
Thoughts for prayer
- Pray for areas of your life where you need guidance
- Focus on Christ as the light of the world and ask
- Pray for a greater reading of the Bible